WELCOME!

Monday, June 9, 2014

PEPPERS AND PAVLOV



PARIS - July 26, 2012

When I was about 4 y.o. and living at my grandparents`, I had a bad habit of putting my fingers in my mouth constantly. Akin to sucking one's thumb, this was a bad habit that needed to be broken. My folks tried reasoning, asking, fussing, threatening, whatever - but all to no avail. Now, on the side of the house at 1720 grew a pretty red pepper bush, no doubt planted by some visiting bird years before. It was medium-sized and produced Tabasco peppers which ripened into an orange-red color. My PawPaw used to say that peppers were the worst thing you could put in your stomach. My grandmother rarely - if ever - used these peppers, or any peppers in her cooking, but not, apparently because PawPaw said they were unhealthy.. Regardless, the pepper bush grew in size and became ornamental – but not useful - and thus remained unmolested - that is until now.

My grandmother, at her wits end to stop me from putting my fingers in my mouth decided to threaten to rub hot peppers on my fingers. Seeing no positive results with that, she proceeded to carry out her threat. She rubbed the pepper, which produced no ill effects at first. Some time passed and I put my finger in my mouth. This is when I saw FIRE!!!

Immediately I ran as fast as my little legs could carry me, to the bathroom and downed generous gulps of water, washing my hands with plenty soap at the same time. My grandmother found out about my hot encounter (I made enough fuss about it!), and that I had washed my hands. Right away she reapplied the pepper to my fingers. It was not very long after that when I once again forgot myself and habit took over - with similar unpleasant results.

My mother studied psychology several years later in Washington, D.C., and many times during that period she told me of a Russian scientist named Pavlov, who trained dogs with reward and punishment. My grandmother must have preceded Mom in reading those scientific journals in applied psychology, because the second time that I tasted the red-hot peppers, it was my LAST!

The measure was a bit extreme, admittedly, but most effective. In looking back on this little incident, I only wonder what would have happened had I, instead of putting my fingers in my mouth, would have rubbed my EYES with the peppery digits!!!


I shutter to think!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment