WELCOME!

Monday, June 9, 2014

KENNY the MECHANIC's HELPER





October 8, 2012

Houston My grandfather used to love telling this story, and I remember the day it happened.


I used to enjoy watching PawPaw, Uncle Gene, or other folks work on their cars, and I had "big ears" and so picked up, at an early age, some of the lingo they used. 

There was a neighbor who was tinkering with his car early one day. I was perhaps four or five years old. I stood around watching him with great interest. The man would sometimes get frustrated with his car, because, no matter what he did, it still wouldn’t start. So I decided to help diagnose the problem:

Got SPARK?” I asked. He replied in the affirmative.
Got GAS?” He said: “Uh-HUH.”
Must be the CARBURETOR!” came my diagnosis.

The man continued to work on his car until dusk, when the jalopy finally came to life! The man later came up to my PawPaw and shook his hand.


You know,” he began, “I shoulda listened to that kid this morning. He was right all along… it was the CARBURETOR!

No comments:

Post a Comment