WELCOME!

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

CAT-TALES: A Purring Engine.

14 August, 2014
Houston

It was a very chilly morning in Metairie, La. a suburb of New Orleans. I had just pulled in front of a low-rise office building for my first sales appointment of the day. I got out of my car and began walking toward the entrance of the building, when I noticed a small group of people huddled around a car nearby in the parking lot.

Since I was early for the meeting anyway, I thought, I might as well see what was going on. I had nothing to lose. My grandfather would have said I had "nose trouble."

So I approach the area and there I saw two people lying on their backs, looking underneath of the car. I asked one of the bystanders what was the problem, and she told me that a kitten had evidently crawled up onto this lady's motor overnight to keep warm, and now that she drove to work, with all the noise of the engine and jostling of the vehicle, the cat was frightened to death. It was too frightened and disoriented to move. (Talk about being scared STIFF!)

It was just then that I heard an intense meowing, as of a kitten or small cat in dire distress. Try as they might, nobody could coax the little guy from the "safety" of his hiding spot - a spot that had also given him much fear and high anxiety. The kitten kept meowing, more intensely than before, now,  and the crowd grew, eventually to some FIFTY people! (and they say CATS are curious!)

"Then along came Jones, smoothe-talking Jones," as the song said. It was some man who had an idea as to how to get the little guy to desert his den of torture. Whatever he did WORKED! That cat took off like a striped ape with a hyena behind! Quick as a wink that kitty was GONE! Can't say as I blamed him one bit.

The crowd erupted into spontaneous applause. Some fellow who had just arrived came up to me and asked what all the fuss was. I told him that the lady had had engine trouble - possibly a CAT-alytic converter, but now her motor is purring.

I don't know why, but the man gave me the funniest look, and then he walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment