WELCOME!

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

My Dad, and The Wreck of the Old 97

"What is bred in the bone will not come out of the flesh." This English proverb dating back at least to the year 1290 is illustrated very nicely by my new-found love of Country Music, and by my getting to know my Dad the second time around. 


Image result for guitar clipart
23 March, 1998   
HOUSTON

I love Country Music, and have for quite some time. There was once a time when this was just not so - - - or so I thought!

In the early 1960's, I did not put music into categories, as people love to do today. I listened and either liked or disliked an individual song, not particularly caring about what genre it fit into, or even about its popularity. I liked it, and that was that!

The late 1950's and early 1960's  was a time in which several types of music were popular simultaneously: Bee-Bop, Rock-&-Roll, orchestral music (later called "Elevator Music"), jazz, folk music, and Country Music - (Back then it was called "Country & Western" or even "Hillbilly Music.")

My first feelings about Country Music became manifest around 1963, but for the wrong reasons. I was 12 years old then. There was a program on the TV called "The Grand Ol' Opry." I never watched it. In fact, I HATED it with a passion, simply because in order to make way for this "new" show, one or two of my favorite shows were cancelled, and I held these lousy Hillbillies culpable.  Every Saturday  afternoon, when the program began, I would resent the fact that they did away with something I liked and substituted this... I-don't-know-what!

Then I heard the news about an airplane crash in which a Grand Ol' Opry star was killed. Shortly thereafter another air disaster was to take yet another Grand Ol' Opry member.

"HA!" I thought, "Maybe they'll take that darned old program off the air, now!"

As I said, I was 12 years old, and had never heard the songs of Patsy Cline or Jim Reeves.

Not too very long after the second crash, I began to hum a random tune.  My mother happened to hear me hum it, and asked me where I had heard it. I explained that I always had this in the back of my head, but that I had no idea just where it came from - of when I had heard it before.

She explained: "That song is called 'The Wreck of the Old 97.' It's a hillbilly song your Dad used to sing to you when you were just little baby!"

Curious, now, I asked my mother about this kind of music, and she sang me a funny song:
                  "Tell me will ya, Darlin', why you look so bad tonight;
                   Those bags around your eyeballs which is red in stedder white!"

She sang me some more funny Hillbilly songs by a guy named Little Jimmy Dickens and others. Now there were sad, melancholy songs like: "I Got Tears In My Ears While Lying On My Back in My Bed While I Cry Over You!", "Take an Ol' Cold 'Tater and Wait," Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor on the Bedpost Overnight?" and "Detour! There's a Muddy Road Ahead, Detour!"

Now I have to say that I walked away from that musical conversation a bit confused, to say the least.  I was not at all convinced that this Country Music thing was for me. Undaunted, I explored further: I took my grandfather's Sony transister radio that I used to use to listen to short-wave broadcasts, and found a local Country Music station.

I listened to the music, DJ'd by a guy named Bill Carroll, for a few minutes, and then I got this brilliant idea to call him up and request a song. Where I got the courage to do that, I'll never know! Of course, I asked him to play "The Wreck of the Old 97."

"I just played it!" he answered incredulously.

My heart sank, because I had just tuned in, and he had already played the one song I wanted to hear. I told him all about the song and how I had hoped to hear it again, after so long. The disappointment must have come through the phone line loud and clear that day. I was just saying goodbye, when he interrupted me and said: "Look, I'll get in trouble if I play the same song in the same hour; but keep listening, and I'll play it for you the next hour. How 'bout that?"

Sure enough he DID! I had a strange feeling come over me as I heard that old melody drift over the airwaves. I found out then that, whatever this music was, it was a part of me somehow - and always has been.

From then on, I was hooked! I asked my mother to buy a phonograph, and that day I bought my very first records, 45 rpm's. Shortly afterwards, I bought a bluegrass banjo album, and added several more 45's to my little collection. One of the songs I bought was one by Jim Reeves.

I bought yet another banjo record, and enjoyed listening to the bluegrass music as I ate Cheerios in the morning before going to school.  I even brought Roger Miller's "Chug-a-Lug" to a school party! Everything went well until the record began to play. Everybody immediately stopped dancing and talking - began to fuss and complain, and demanded that the offending vinyl be taken off immediately!

"Who was the IDIOT that put that record into the stack?" was the question that I heard someone ask. I never did admit to doing the foul deed, and quietly slipped the offensive disc back into my schoolbag, keeping a very low profile for the rest of the party.

I learned that Country Music wasn't cool.  I didn't care!

Later I began to increase my collection, but, understandably, kept this interest to myself. In fact, the very few times my musical tastes were discovered by any of my contemporaries, I was immediately ridiculed.

My grandfather did not laugh me, even though he did not LOVE the music. He even took me to a Country Music Spectacular concert in New Orleans in March, 1965. At least my family didn't make fun.

The years passed, and my audio collection grew. Eventually, a strange thing happened: in the 1980's, after a series of blockbuster movies and "crossover" hits put Country Music on center-stage, Country Music came of age. It was COOL!!  That meant nothing to me, except that I could hear it in public without having to wear earphones.

It was, though, poetic justice, because there was a song: "I Was Country, When Country Wasn't Cool." THAT DEFINITELY was a song for me!

And, oh, yes - there was even more "poetic justice" for me, as well, for, among my all-time favorite singers are the late, great Patsy Cline, and Gentleman Jim Reeves, the two singers whose deaths I mentioned before. It is fitting that I should be a fan of those two artists who were taken so soon from us.
                Picture of
As for the "Wreck of the Old 97," a few years before he passed away, I got back in touch with my Dad, who, I was delighted to hear, played COUNTRY and BLUEGRASS music!! One day on a visit to his home, he was playing the guitar, and I asked him if he knew "The Wreck of the Old 97?"

His china-blue eyes lit up, and a smile flashed wide over his face as he answered: "Son, I used to sing that song to you, nearly every day, when you were a baby!" and with that, with almost childish glee, he strummed and picked on his guitar, and sang that old railroad ballad I had not heard in over twenty years. Those shiny steel strings spoke to me, and Dad sounded better than any singer I had ever heard before. That's because he was singing from the heart!

We had at last come full-circle, Dad and I. We two, who had lost contact with each other so many years ago, now communicated through a song I last heard in my infancy. The years and the miles had not succeeded in erasing that which was a part of both of us.

He played the Dobro, and made it sing! I accompanied him on autoharp, and it was as if we had never been apart. In the corner of his eye was the trace of a tear. Maybe it was a tear of sadness - thinking about what was lost. I'd like to think it was a tear of joy, at what was found.

Nothing is truly lost, if it's carried within the heart.

I'll always remember the few but happy times Dad and I played music together.

I think of him every now and then, especially when I play an Emmylou Harris song, about the Wildwood Flower:
"In the end he knew it was his finest hour,
Now all we have left of him... is a song."

Image result for guitar clipart

Here is a link to a video of him singing!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zla1qxNIoLg

1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome story brother. As I read it, it came to life. It brought tears of joy for that little boy and now grown man. So many emotions through a song. I'm so happy that you have them too! As for me, my boots will always be walkin~~

    ReplyDelete