WELCOME!

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Weela, weela, wallya! Doula, dooli, Duala!

KENNETH E. HALL.     10 February, 2016           Houston, TX

"There was an old woman what lived in the woods
Weela, weela, wal-ya...."     -- Irish rope-skipping song

What the heck is a DOULA?

I have studied languages all my life. Seriously. I learned my first words of FRENCH at age three, and could count to ten in JAPANESE before I was six. By age seven, I set as my lifetime goal to be, in my own words, a "polylinguist", and since that tender age I have made a determined effort to learn at least a word or two of peaceful greeting in as many languages as possible. Sadly, to date, I must admit that I have fallen short of my lofty goal. In fact, I have yet to completely master even ONE of them - my own included.

When asked what my favorite language is, I readily answer ENGLISH! It is the language of those who brought me into this world, and the language with which I am most familiar. Although I am constantly learning new words, meanings, phrases, etc., in tongues as diverse as Tegalog, Arabic, Yórubà, and Hindi, one would figure I have little to learn of modern English.

This would be a big mistake to think so!

EVERY DAY I learn a word or two in ENGLISH!

One of my recent words stymied me, and took a little research. The word is DOULA.
I recently heard this in the context of childbirth - and figured it was a high-falootin' foreign substitute for the old-fashioned word "midwife." I was correct on both accounts, and wrong on both of those accounts at the same time!

"DOULA! What the heck could this be?!?!" I thought.
• At first I thought of "dooli" - the Hindi word for stretcher or litter, as used in Rudyard Kipling's famous poem "Gunga Din." The real Hindi word for stretcher is "डोली" pron. DÒLI. No cigar.
• Douala? No, that was a city in Cameroons, in west Africa.
Adoola boola bool a penny a pinch! I may have a loverly bunch o' cokynuts, but I had no idea where in the heck this word came from!

"Όλα προέρχεται από την ελληνική γλώσσα!"

I remember what I used to tell my kids, on those long, nighttime intercity trips long ago, when we'd talk about words and their origins. I'd tell them: "It's all coming from the Greek!" My kids had a field day when they heard that very expression in the movie "My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding"!!! They all shouted:"This guy talks just like DADDY!"
Yeah, he did, and I've yet to see any royalties from that picture, either! 

Turns out, the word DOULA, in fact, comes from the Greek! Told you so!
δούλη (pron. THOOLI - the TH being pron. like the th in "the").
Way back in Ancient Greece, that word meant a female slave.

The word "DOULA" is, in fact, a high-falootin' word of American (U.S.) invention. They took the Ancient Greek word Thouli and made it doula, and assigned it to a relatively new type of neo-quasi-midwife-person who gives advice and emotional  support to expectant mothers. Unlike the Greek slave of old, she does indeed know something about "birthin' babies." But unlike a true midwife, the doula is a sort of coach for mother-to-be and her spouse. 

But you already knew all that. ---I didn't. ---I just learned it! In my own language, yet!

See what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment