WELCOME!

Saturday, July 7, 2018

'57 Chevrolet

March 28, 2015   Houston, TX

*"Come and look at this old faded photograph. 
Honey, tell me what it brings to mind. 
It's a picture of that '57 Chevrolet. 
I wish that we could ride it one more time. 

They don't make cars like they used to; 
I wish we still had it today. 
The love we first tasted, 
The good love we're still living: 
We owe it to that old '57 Chevrolet!"
Writers: BOWLING Copyright: Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, THE BICYCLE MUSIC COMPANY Lyrics Licenced & Provided By LyricFind



It was 1975. I had just gotten a new job. For me, this was nothing new: it seems I had a different job twice a year!Now, when you're in your mid-twenties and still in school, this happens all too frequently. I was working my way through college, juggling studying, a new marriage, and and work - all three competing for every single second of my time. 

One day I came home to the wonderful news that my wife was expecting. We moved from our little apartment to a small house that we bought in an older section of New Orleans. I continued to work at the same dead-end part-time jobs, but of course they did not provide insurance, and there was not a whole lot of money to be made there either. On the positive side, though, there was a lot of work to be done in those low-paid jobs. They fairly made you work for every cent they paid you.

Even though I was in my mid-twenties, I still did not have a drivers' license - for a variety of reasons.
I got by taking the city bus everywhere, riding my bike, or walking, but now, with a baby on the way, practicality caused me to give in, and I decided to break down and get my license.

"But we don't own a car," my wife observed, and, in fact, our house had a driveway, and that driveway was empty. We were pondering just what we should do - or rather what we COULD do - because we could not afford a car on my part-time salary, and we also could not afford NOT to have a car when the child came along. Besides, what if my wife starts to go into labor? What then? I can't see us walking three blocks to the bus stop and waiting until one comes along with her about to deliver! Or waiting for a taxi that might take too long in getting here.

We needed a car but could by no means afford one.

Life is full of coincidences - but explain to me why things sometimes happen just at the precise time that they should. On one particular day, one very special coincidence happened. We were sitting in the living room discussing just this issue when the phone rang. It was my cousin Sue, whom I had not seen in several years.

Of all things, she said she had called me to tell me that her husband had just gotten a promotion, and that along with the promotion he got a company car. Having this new car, they no longer had a need for their second one - a 1957 Chevrolet Station Wagon - and would I like to have it?

I just sat there with a bewildered, shocked expression on my face. Was this really happening?

"You mean Aunt Grace's car?" I asked, very familiar with that red and white two-tone station wagon that my great aunt used to drive around in when she'd go visit the family. Turns out that, when Aunt Grace stopped driving, she called up Sue and her husband and offered them the car - which really came in handy for them at the time. Now it was their turn to help someone else, and so they graciously offered us the car - - - and we eagerly accepted the offer. 

After I got over the shock, and after sharing the great news with my wife, I phoned my mother to tell her all about it.
"It has four wheels, a motor, and it runs," my mother said. She was right. It was a no-frills ticket to learning to drive. Soon enough, I was circling the block, being careful not to hit a fire hydrant or stray dog - or anything else, for that matter! I had taken Drivers' Ed  a few years ago in high school, but I was still scared stiff. I went to a tiny fire station on Elysian Fields and Gentilly Blvd., near our old apartment building, passed the test and received my temporary license. Legal on the road, I now began to take longer and longer trips - some as much as eight or maybe ten blocks from the house - my lovely wife sitting by my side, confident in my skills as a driver.

Bills were mounting, and I realized that I had no medical insurance. I was just about fed up with the university anyway, and decided that, by golly, I could land a decent job without a degree. To my amazement and delight, I answered a single newspaper ad, got an interview, and landed the job!!! I rushed home as fast as a city traffic would let me me to tell my wife the good news - that I was going to be a sales representative - complete with company car, benefits, and everything! Our financial worries were now at an end.

Look at how things worked out: I had no car, nor money to buy one with, so a car was provided. Because the car was provided, I learned to drive.
Because I learned to drive, I was able to get a better job with insurance, etc. AND a COMPANY CAR! The better job only became available because of another strange twist of fate.

This strange twist of fate had me inheriting the very same job and the very same company car that an acquaintance of mine once had! The job was available only because this man had left the position to join the priesthood. A chat with my new boss revealed that information, and it was a grand moment when I found out that this very job and car were once his. (One day years later, I saw him after mass and told him about it.)

A few years past and the job dried up - my division was disbanded and I was moved around and eventually laid off. I immediately got a new job, but it required a car - so I was "back in the saddle again" with Aunt Grace's old Chevrolet station wagon!!

Coincidences? Well, I leave it up to the reader. As for me, I like to think there were many things at play here, one being basic human kindness and thoughtfulness from a family member. Without that single act, it would have taken much more to get my life and new family started.

When my cousin needed a car again, she called me, and I was happy to give it back to help her out. Things went full-circle.

They don't make cars like they used to, that's for sure. Say what you like, it had a standard transmission and drove like a tank, and the radio was busted, but it was there for us in a moment of greatest need. I still remember the sounds, the feel, the smell of that old car. Just thinking about it brings back so many memories! Yes, we owe a lot to my cousin Sue, and that '57 Chevrolet!

*I first heard this song sung by Billie-Jo Spears, and came into possession of a 45 rpm record of it by, of all people, comedienne Ruth Buzzi! It made me remember the old 1957 Chevrolet station wagon that my cousin Sue gave us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment