WELCOME!

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Moonrise Over San Francisco

San Francisco
8 October, 2014


"Au Clair de la lune… 
…je suis dans mon lit..."

Dark came over San Francisco, or at least the dark of night, but the lights of the buildings, streets, and cars all fight back, and together produce an incandescent glow that is reflected by nearby clouds.
The TV was blaring - droning on and on. Tiring of the same things being said over and over, I glanced out of my hotel window onto the city as it spread before me. 
     But tonight I noticed a light coming from amid the skyscrapers - a light that was not there before. 
I watched as it grew in size and intensity, and at the same time moving out from among the concrete and glass towers to finally reveal itself: it was the full moon rising!
The perfect roundness of the huge orange disk was a sight to behold. 
I wasted no time. I quickly turned off the television and lamps in the room, and watched this nighttime spectacle unfold.
Then, from over the waters nearby, a thick fog formed a blanket slowly covering the moon - until the bright orb disappeared from view. It reappeared, then just as quickly disappeared again. 
For a few brief seconds, the clouds began to swirl, forming a ring around the moon - like some giant eye in the sky, gazing down on the earth. 
The restless clouds continued to grow thicker and thicker, eventually enveloping parts of the city. 
All this I saw while I lay down on my bed, tired from a long flight. 
I tried to take a picture of this magnificent sight, but, alas, what came out was just a blur. 

So this is my word-picture of a moonrise over San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment