WELCOME!

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

DUCK TAILS - Amsterdam Canal

San Francisco
22 October, 2014

"Lost in Amsterdam? No problem! Just follow this canal to the tram line, turn right, walk until you get to another canal..."
Such are directions, for it seems as though just about everything is located on or near one of those canals.

One day, many years ago, while walking along a canal in Amsterdam, I came upon a couple of discarded loaves of Turkish bread lying on the bank. I spied some ducks swimming nearby and decided to pass the time by giving the bread to them and seeing the pieces fall into the canal, they all flocked to me without my making a sound. 
I began to make a quacking noise while they were feeding, just for fun. (I am quite easily amused…)
I still had plenty bread left, so I began to stroll further along the canal, bread in hand. 
As I walked, I noticed the ducks swimming along behind me in a line, and here and there others joined the flock. I knew in my heart of hearts that it was the bread I carried with me - not my silly quacking, my charming personality nor wit that lured these creatures ever onward. 
The Leprechaun that surely is my alter ego could not resist some shenanigans - all in good fun, don't you know! 
As I strolled along leading my new-found friends, and gaining new ones all the while, I again proceeded to quack away as happy as you please! The scene was reminiscent of the Pied Piper - with a few minor changes having been made to the story.
As merrily I did gang "along the banks of the Royal Canal" I realized that I was not alone in my mirth, for as my web-footed friends sought to keep me company all on the one side, along the other, in the cobblestone street that ran along the canal, a line of cars with some mystified occupants, plus a few curious walkers and lasses on their bicycles did a;so follow along, smiling all the while.
They waved and likewise I waved back, "the day being pleasant and charming."
I thought about how political movements had, from time to time during our history, arisen from one person having an idea, others following blindly not because of the idea, but for what each could get out of it. And still others blindly followed along behind them simply for the amusement and pleasure of the association. 
All you need is one person who thinks he understands life - or says he does - and others will quickly follow - yet they know not nor care why.
By the time I arrived at my hotel, I found I had but the smallest crumb left, which I tossed to my web-footed friends as a token of parting. There being no more bread and the journey across the city completed, I left the ducks where I found them, the traffic of onlookers disbursed, and the lovely Dutch girls on their bicycles likewise pressed on, no doubt amused at the spectacle. 
The stroll along the canal that day could have been just a mere walk, and I would have arrived at my destination just as quickly, but I chose - I chose to make it an event - bizarre though it may have been.
If by doing so two pieces of bio-degradable litter got recycled, some ducks got fed, and I brought a smile to a few of the townspeople with my frivolity, then so be it. If I left that fair city for just a few brief moments an ever so slightly happier place than when first I found it, then that makes me all the gladder I came.   
Remember, it's not the destination… it's the journey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment