WELCOME!

Sunday, March 15, 2015

DEPARTING OSAKA


13 March, 2013
Osaka, Japan

The hotel wakeup call came way to early. Guess it always does. Admittedly, 1:50pm can't really be considered early in anyone's book - that is, unless you're a flight attendant or some such. In that case, 1:50pm can be early, if you haven't had enough sleep. 

SLEEP: this is what I chase! It's like the proverbial donkey and that elusive carrot dangling before him. When I can sleep, I can't; and when I can sleep, I can't. It's all right if you don't get it. 

What I mean by that is simply this: when you're in a position to sleep, you're not always sleepy - and can't fall asleep. Adrenalin is still coursing through your veins at a high dose. But finally, when sleep does come, well, now it's time to hop to it and be lively. Nobody much cares if you're tired or sleepy.

You don't realize it when it happens, but after tossing and turning you drift off. Then, that elusive, peaceful slumber is interrupted by a wakeup call, an alarm clock, or a knock on the door. 

I got ready to go, did my final sweep of my room for forgotten items such as articles of clothing or a plugged-in charger, grabbed my luggage, coat, and water bottle, and headed for the elevator and a waiting bus. 

En-route I stopped for a quick cup of coffee downstairs in the Crewroom, only to find my key no longer opened the door. There will be no morning coffee for me: although I will spend the next several hours serving coffee and numerous other things to some two hundred people, the one cup I'd like to drink to help me get going is a pleasure denied. I don't see any justice in this.

The luggage is loaded, I find my seat, and soon enough the large bus threads it's way through hundreds of tall concrete and glass buildings that make up downtown Osaka, and in a short time, there is open highway and the bus picks up speed.

I listen to some old songs on my playlist, hum along and tap my feet to the rhythm of a few good country tunes, and then an old, nearly forgotten lively train song comes on. 

Old memories of train trips come to mind as my bus courses that westward-leading ribbon of grey. Then I look to one side to see a sleek, modern electric passenger train ease up alongside the bus. 

It gains speed, and then, in nothing flat, that express train was out of sight - leaving a pair of shining steel rails behind it as it sped along to Kansai Airport. 

I can't explain just why I love trains, or planes, or traveling in general. I won't even try. Let's just say I love it, and leave it at that.

All I can say is that the old railroad song and the sight of that train speeding along put me back in a traveling mood!

It's going to be all right, now! That bus is carrying me to a plane that will take me closer to home and the ones I love. If my luck holds out, I'll be home tonight.

I still have many miles to go. That I know. But my heart is lighter now, a smile is on my face, and I am ready for the long journey.

Let's ROLL!

No comments:

Post a Comment